Thursday, November 22, 2007

San Francisco Birthday Trip!

I really wanted to do something special for my 30th (gasp!) birthday. When I say "something special" what that really means is a long romantic retreat with my husband to a tropical location where we could just soak up the sun and lounge on the beach for hours. Well, presently, I am lucky enough to have a little baby girl that I'm crazy about and she's pretty crazy about me too. Leaving her was not an option. Consequently, I had to sacrifice a few key adjectives of my "something special"-- good-bye to long, romantic, tropical, and lounge.
I'd never been to San Francisco and it turned out to be the perfect choice for a quick trip with it's close location, famous sights, and great restaurants. We did a lot of walking around with Holly strapped to us in the baby pack thing (apparently we were quite a spectacle because everyone walking by us stared and pointed, no kidding!) and we got pretty good at the public transportation using trains, buses, and taxis. We did have some rainy weather one day, but I was just happy it wasn't too hot because we were outside the majority of the time. One of Jason's high school friends, Tim, lives just a few blocks from where our hotel was. It was fun to visit with him and it really helped to get advice and recommendations from a "local."
a few places we went:
Union Square Mall (8 stories tall! see picture)
Ghiradelli Square ice cream shop (yum)
the Golden Gate Bridge (two days in a row because the first day it was so foggy we couldn't see it AT ALL even though we were walking on it.)
Pier 39 at Fisherman's Warf (Jason had the clam chowder in a bread bowl and I opted for the chili)
The Stinking Rose famous garlic-obsessed restaurant (even ordered the garlic ice cream for dessert...would not recommend, but at least we tried it!)
I love that Jason and I don't stress about cramming too many activites into our days when we're vacationing. We didn't have any time schedules or much of a plan. We walked out of our hotel room each morning and let the city dictate what we'd do that day. It was so enjoyable and I was captivated by the city itself. I had no idea it was so "New York-like" just on a much smaller scale. The architecture and the history is amazing. It was an ideal way to get away for my birthday with a baby. Holly was such an angel. And why wouldn't she be? We held her ALL DAY! I really appreciated the time to give her our undivided attention without other interuptions or distractions.
Thank you for a memorable 30th birthday honey! I promise we'll be baby-less for our 10 year anniversary, and that'll be the time for long, romantic, tropical, and lounging...start planning!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

That looks like such a perfect getaway. I can't believe you really couldn't see the bridge when you were walking ont it. Crazy! So, where are we going for your 10th???

Kate said...

Soooo glad you got to enjoy San Francisco for your 30th! It is such a fun & interesting place to visit. And yes, where are we all going for your 10th?

rebecca said...

Sounds so fun! Love Holly's jammies by the way. :) Happy Birthday! When is your 10th? You made me realize we'll be baby-less for our 10th too!! Yeah 2009!!

Helen said...

Looks like a fun getaway!

Nicole said...

Okay, I'm a dope. Now that I read this one, I do remember you were planning this trip for your b-day. Sorry. My brain isn't working. Christmas does that to ya! Sounds like a great trip. Glad you had a good time!