Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Let Me Clarify

I have gotten some feedback about my #4 below that makes me feel like I should take a moment to explain a little bit better.
To be blunt, what I'm saying is that I'm selfish. I know I am a selfish person. I am happy to take, receive, benefit from, other people's talents and abilities, but I'm unwilling to take the time or put in the effort to be the "go to" person in return. I don't know why I am that way. I guess I don't like the responsibility of giving advice or being a mentor. For me, it is stressful. Besides that, I can barely handle my own everyday stuff and I don't want to take on more. That's why I hide in the background and avoid seeming like the right person to ask. Does that make me totally crazy? Yes, and selfish, like I said.
Don't question how genuine I am in my compliments. I mean what I say. Everyone deserves to be praised for things they are good at. I really do need A LOT of help in a lot of areas and by being vocal about my appreciation, I am hopeful that people will continue to be willing to be UNselfish with what they have to offer. My life is full of talented, capable people who are willing to share even if they don't "want" to or live a busy life. I want to be like that. This is an invitation to ask me to do stuff for you so I can practice stepping out of my comfort zone and give back a little. See, there I go asking for help in yet another area of my life that needs improvement. (sigh)
Maybe I should have never written what I did, but when I was considering what makes me "me" it was something I thought about and wanted to put into words. I'm glad I did. It has helped step back and learn a few things about myself.

Blogging is cheap therapy.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

You're awesome, Ginge. I don't think anyone would ever think you aren't genuine when you compliment. You are one of the most sincere, genuine people I know! I'm glad you put that in your list. It was funny and interesting and true, only because you are SUPER talented and don't show off enough. I always love that you call ME for advice because it really does wonders for my self-esteem. I am not a very talented person and you make me feel capable and smart. So, I appreciate your "flaw"! :)

Kate said...

Ditto to what Heids said.

ps You invited, so I'm asking... Please write my tagged 6 quirky things for me! I'm no good at thinking of or putting into words my weirdness/quirks although I know I have many more than 6! Also, I'm sure you know mine well. So you could use your writing talent for me on this one, K?

I'm a little leary now of running the risk of "feedback", although a little introspection, clarification & blog therapy could be useful. So, could you? Would you? I'm kidding... kind of. :)

nikki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nikki said...

Ginger,
Don't even feel bad, I am the same way! I always feel bad about my selfishness too. I almost called you today to babysit, Ben still has a few blisters on his hands and I felt guilty taking him to the gym, but I felt bad cuz you have a baby so I got a sub instead. next time I won't hesitate to call! You asked for it! J/K!!!

S.Miles said...

You are as far from selfish as they come! You are one of my favorite people in the whole world for exactly that reason! Hello- one trip to your house and you can see how unselfish you are! Who else is going to have a Pampered Chef for Darcy- again? I never think you aren't genuine with what you say. I was just giving you a hard time about it. I think you are just great! great great great! And you are often my sounding board that I bombard with all my problems/dilemas. And you never let me down with advice. That is a real friend Gingi. !! :P

Lila said...

this is especially why i love you. smile. and miss you. i wish i'd known about blogging earlier and i wish i'd read all of these 'before'. i love you. lila